Tuesday 11 August 2015

SOTA - Graig Syfyrddin - GW/SW-020


Graig Syfyrddin - 423m, 1 point

Association: Wales Region: South Wales
Latitude: 51 53 3 N, Longitude: 2 52 7 W
Grid Reference: SO 403210, QTH Locator: IO81NV


The next summit, Graig Syfyrddin, was a new one for me. I'd often passed close by on the way home from Wales, but this was to be my first activation. I duly found the single parking spot by the gateway, kitted up and started the easy ascent to the summit.

Parking spot
The 0.7 mile ascent was 420' and took just over 10 minutes to arrive at the trig point.



I set up close to the weather station next to the fence so I could use a fence post for the pole support.
I was rapidly on the air on 40 metres but the pile up lasted only a few minutes.


20 metres was in poor shape and on trying 30 metres, I discovered the entire band was swamped by QRM, I expect, from the adjacent WX station. With 30 metres a non starter, I went back to 40 metres and picked up a few more stations however 15 QSOs was the sum total of a 50 minute activation.

Log

Log2Map
I had planned to activate Garway Hill, G/WB-013 next, but it was already 1700L, the band was in poor condition, I was hot and dehydrated and the attraction of spending another few hours out without getting some food was starting to wane.

Garway Hill
I cut my losses and headed back to the car and continued on the 70 mile journey home.



No comments:

Post a Comment