Wednesday 14 January 2015

SOTA - Cleeve Hill - G/CE-001


Cleeve Hill - 330m, 1 point

Association: England Region: Central England
Latitude: 51 55 11 N, Longitude: 2 0 21 W
Grid Reference: SO 996245, QTH Locator: IO81XW


The first activation of the year and what was a "coming of age" activation for me too. Yes, it was my 21st activation of Cleeve Hill! You'd think I'd be getting bored with it by now.
With a few spare hours, a point available and not wishing to travel too far afield, it made perfect sense.

There was a bit of snow and ice on the approach road, but nothing that couldn't be handled by my vehicle.
At the car park the hill looked crisp and clean with the fresh snowfall from overnight.



There were not many people around and I set up in the lee of some gorse bushes to get out of the bitter wind. It was a balmy 3ºC when I started operations.




Whilst conditions were hardly sparkling, I worked all bands, 40 through to 15 metres, for a total of 50 QSOs and 15 DXCC.
As usual the handwarmer came in useful, especially after struggling with trying to collapse the upper section of frozen pole with bare hands.
A nice winter day, if a little grey.


No comments:

Post a Comment