Tuesday 10 December 2013

SOTA - Stiperstones - G/WB-003

Stiperstones - 536m, 2 points

Association: England  Region: Welsh Borders  
Latitude: 52 34 54 N, Longitude: 2 56 5 W
Grid Reference: SO 367986, QTH Locator: IO82MN


Summit number 2 was reached just after 1100z and I set out towards the rocky outcrops I could see in the distance. The low cloud had all but dispersed leaving a grey overcast day. At least it was dry! As I neared the summit the terrain became more and more rocky and I could see the trig point perched high on the rocks ahead.
Summit in the distance

Not to be outdone by a little piece of rock, I decided that I'd at least climb up to the trig point  and then find somewhere suitable to setup the station. A bit of scrambling was required over the slippery rocks to reach the trig point, but it was a far from ideal position to operate from! I retraced my steps and dropped down a few feet where I found a nice slot in the rocks to brace the fishing pole. There was then a bit more scrambling around trying to lay out the antenna before we finally got on the air.
Conquered!

Another quick activation with 23 QSOs in only 19 minutes of operating including the day's first S2S with Heinz, HB9BCB/p on HB/BL-009.The setup and break down took longer than the total activation time! Still, no time to be wasted, so I was soon headed back to get on my way to summit number 3, crossing into Wales for Corndon Hill.

QSO Map





2 comments:

  1. Nice activations you have done Pete, I wondering what software that is giving you such a nice statistic view?
    Best 73's
    LA3DNA Leif (Donna Isl. Norway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leif,
      I can't take any credit for the software.
      You'll find it at http://www.adventureradio.de/?page_id=3577
      It's developed by DL4MFM.

      The tool used here is http://tools.adventureradio.de/data/csvovw01.php

      73
      Pete

      Delete